Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Yummy Fresh Balsamic Vinegar Pizza and Dessert

For all you pizza lovers out there who want to try something new, fun and HEALTHIER than your average take out or dine in pizza.  It's yummy too!

I combined some recipes so to get my desired product so this recipe is totally customizable!(Spell check says this isn't a word...is it? Maybe I spelled it wrong:)

I didn't take a picture of it, but it looked something like this....

But, for my recipe I made a whole wheat crust.

Here we go:

First of all, consider how many pizzas you are going to make.  I just wanted to do one and I found out the hard way that the recipe will make more than that.  The hubs and I could only eat one piece...it was that thick:) So, just make sure!  Or if you are like me and an impatient cook(meaning, I don't wait for the dough to rise and it turned out just fine:), you can always just buy a ready made crust or rely on Pillsbury for your basic pizza crust needs.

Here is the recipe just in case you want to make it yourself:




Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

By: Marla 
"A healthy whole wheat crust that comes out soft and chewy on the inside and crisp on the outside. Use with your favorite pizza toppings or pizza recipes."
Prep Time:
25 Min
Cook Time:
20 Min
Ready In:
2 Hrs 45 Min

Servings  (Help)

Calculate

Original Recipe Yield 10 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C){I didn't check the temp on my water}
  • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour{I substituted whole wheat here, didn't use all-purpose}

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
  2. Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. {I told you I am impatient and so I didn't wait an hour, it was more like 10 minutes. Still yummy!}
  3. When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.
  4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust.{I just greased my pan, slapped it on there and mushed it to the sides, no extra work...I am not a restaurant.  I am good if I get dinner on the table} When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan. {you need to pre bake the crust until its brown around the edges, don't put any toppings on it yet}
  5. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.



~The next step is where the creativity comes in! While the pizza dough is cooking, make a balsamic glaze for the sauce{ Combine 1 cup of balsamic vinegar and 2 Tbs of brown sugar in a sauce pan until it reduces to about a 1/2-1/4 cup}.
~1While both of those are cooking, chop your veggies and grate the cheese. I used onions, tomatoes and lettuce(don't use iceberg!).
~When the glaze and dough are finnished spread your most of your glaze{not all of it, you may want to save some to drizzle on top or your pizza or for dessert...}, on your crust. After the glaze is spread, sprinkle your onions and cheese on it{I used mozzerella but you can use whatever you would like....goat cheese would be interesting, don't you think?} Stick it back in the oven on broil to melt the cheese.
~When the cheese is melted, take it out of the oven and immediately sprinkle your fresh veggies on top! Cut and enjoy!

I drizzled more balsamic glaze on top of my pizza PLUS, for dessert I cut up a nectarine and ate it with that.  It was DIVINE!  Another dessert idea would be to have some kind of vanilla ice cream or whipped topping with fresh fruit, and drizzle the glaze on it. YUMO!

Thanks for stopping by and I would LOVE to know how your creations turned out.  Gonna need some new ideas:)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...